Tips to Expedite Your NPI Application
Web Application Tips
- User IDs cannot be changed.
Once you have successfully chosen a User ID and secret question/answer
combinations and submitted the record, the User ID and secret question/answer
combinations will remain tied to your record.
- Use the application’s navigation buttons, NEXT or PREVIOUS.
- Do NOT use the browser’s buttons, BACK and FORWARD.
- If you have a problem with the system and cannot continue, wait 20
minutes before logging on again.
- Print each page as you complete the
application to keep a record of your file.
Paper and Web Application Tips
- An EIN must not be entered in the ITIN field on the application of
a health care provider who is an individual.
- When you enter your Medicaid number in section 3.c., list the State
that assigned the number.
- Post office boxes may not be entered as practice location
Paper Application Tips
- Remember to select an entity type:
Entity type 1, health care providers who are individuals, need to
complete sections 2A, 3, 4A, and 5.
Entity type 2, health care
providers who are organizations or subparts, need to complete sections
2B, 3, 4B, and 5.
- Do not staple the application pages together.
- Remember to print legibly or type your application.
- Include an original
signature of the health
care provider and a
telephone number on the application. Do not send a photocopy of the
signature or an application with a stamped signature. The name in the
signature must match the name of the provider.
- If you do not submit your social security number on a paper
application, you must submit a photocopy of two of the following
documents with your application: driver's license, State-issued ID,
identifying page of your passport, or a birth certificate.
- An EIN is an Employer Identification Number assigned by the
Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The EIN is furnished only on an NPI
application from providers who are organizations, including groups and
- An SSN is a Social Security Number assigned by the Social Security
Administration. The SSN is furnished only on an NPI application from
providers who are individuals. An SSN is required on all web NPI
applications and is optional on paper NPI applications.
- An ITIN is an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number assigned by
the IRS to individuals who do not qualify for an SSN. The ITIN is
furnished only on an NPI application from providers who are