ELECTRONIC FILE MANAGEMENT MAIN PAGE¶
The Electronic File Interchange (EFI) enables organizations that are approved by CMS as an EFI Organization (EFIO) to submit provider NPI applications and update NPI data electronically to NPPES, with minimal manual intervention. To perform this function, your organization must first register with NPI Enumerator by submitting a copy of the certification statement. The certification statement will be available to download once you complete the EFIO request. New EFI Organizations (EFIO) are notified by the NPI Enumerator when the EFIO request is approved and activated. New EFI Representatives (EOR) are notified by the NPI Enumerator when their EOR request is approved and activated.
EFI Access Request Grid¶
- EFI Access Request grid provides the following columns, enabling you to see the following information associated with your employers.
- EFIO ID: Electronic File Interchange Organization Identification Organization Name (LBN)
- EFIO Status: Your employers status as an EFI Organization
- Active: Your employer has been approved to be an EFI Organization (EFIO)
- Pending Approval: A request has been submitted for your employer to be an EFI Organization (EFIO) and is awaiting approval.
- Rejected: Your employer’s request to be an EFI Organization (EFIO) has been denied.
- EOR User Status: Your status as and EFI Organization Representative for your employer
- Active: User approved to submit files on behalf of the EFI organization User approved to submit files on behalf of the EFI organization You are approved to submit files on behalf of your EFI Organization
- Pending Approval: Your request to be an EOR for your employer has been submitted and is awaiting approval.
- Rejected: Your request to be an EOR for your employer has been rejected and you will not be allowed to access or manage EFI files for your employer
- Deactivated: Your request to be an EOR has been deactivated and you will no longer be allowed to access or manage EFI files for your employer
- Business Mailing Address: EFI Organization’s Mailing Address
- EFI Authorized Official
- Request EFI Access: available when your employer’s EFIO status is not currently Active or Pending
- Request EOR Access: available when your employer’s EFIO status is Active and your EOR status is not currently Active or Pending
- Download the Certification Statement icon: available when your employer’s EFIO status in Pending
Request EFI Access¶
Upon selecting the Request EFI Access button you will be navigated to the EFI Organization Page.
Request EOR Access¶
Upon selecting the Request EOR Access button you will be navigated to the Electronic File Transfer Organization Representative (EOR) Page.
EFIO Certification Statement¶
- Upon selecting the downward arrow download icon a downloadable EFIO Certification Statement will be generated. The EFIO Certification Statement will be prepopulated with the following information:
- Organization name
- Authorized Official’s Name
- Authorized Official’s Title/Position
- Authorized Official’s telephone number
- Organization’s LBN
- Organization’s Business Mailing Address
Print, sign, and send the EFI Certification Statement to the Enumerator for approval.
EFIO Status Definitions¶
- Green - Active: Organization is approved to use NPPES EFI functionality.
- Blue - Pending Approval: Organization requested access to use NPPES EFI functionality, but approval is still pending (EFIO request is being processed).
- Red - Rejected: Organization denied access to the EFI functionality.
- Pink - Deactivated: Organization can no longer have access to the EFI functionality.
EOR Status Definitions¶
- Green - Active: User approved to submit files on behalf of the EFI organization.
- Blue - Pending Approval: User has requested access to start submitting files on behalf of the EFI organization.
- Red - Rejected: User access request denied.
- Pink - Deactivated: User access request is deactivated. User can no longer have access to the EFI organization.
EFI File Management Grid¶
EFI File allows you to access and manage all EFI files associated with the organizations for which you are an active EFI Organization representative.
- EFI Original File Name
- NPPES EFI Organization ID
- Organization (LBN)
- Upload Date
- Response File Size
- Last Generated Date
- File Type
- CSV: Coma Separated Values
- XML: Extensible Markup Language
- In Queue: File has been successfully uploaded and is waiting for the Enumerator to release for processing.
- In Process: File has been released by the Enumerator and is being processed.
- Error in Processing: System incurred an error while processing the file. Either the issue will be resolved and the file will be processed, or the file will end up being Rejected.
- Processing Completed: File was successfully processed and a Response file was generated.
- Rejected: File was rejected by the system based on either errors with the file structure or the percentage of erred records in the file.
- Removed: File has been archived and is no longer available for download.
- Download Icon: Available when file status is Processing Completed.
- Delete Icon: Available when file status is In Queue.
EFI File Upload¶
- EFI Files of up to 200 MB maybe uploaded. If file size exceeds 200 MB, try to submit your data using multiple files instead of one large file.
- File Name should not contain spaces, or special characters.
Select EFI Org¶
Select your EFI Organization associated with the file being uploaded, from the dropdown list.
Select a File to Upload¶
The following types of files are allowed to be uploaded:
Identify the file by selecting the Browse button to browse and select the desired file. Once you have found and selected the file to upload, select the Upload a file button.
- Browse Button: Upon selecting the Browse button a popup window will display allowing you to choose the file to be uploaded.
- Upload a file Button: Upon selecting the Upload a file button the file selected in the popup window will be uploaded.
An Additional Resources section is provided at the bottom of the page and contains links to the EFI documentation. Each resource will show the Revised Date indicating the last time the resource/document was updated.
EFIOs are responsible for updating their EFI XML Schema utilizing the information provided in the documents listed below. Failure to do so could cause the uploaded EFI Files to either be rejected or not be processed correctly.
- EFI Summary - Provides a general overview of how the EFI process works [Adobe PDF File]
- EFI Organization Certification Statement [Adobe PDF File]
- EFI Technical Companion Guide - Contains information on how to format EFI data for submission [Adobe PDF File]
- EFI User’s Guide - Explains how the EFI process works from a systems point of view [Adobe PDF File]
- EFI XML Schema - The XML Schema File for EFI [ZIP File]
- Sample EFI Files - Contains sample files of new NPI applications and change requests [Zip file]
ORGANIZATION NAME PAGE¶
When you select the Request EFI Access button from the Actions column in the EFI Access Request grid, you will be navigated to the Organization Name page. The Organization Name Page allows you to enter the EFI Organization information, the Authorized Official for the Organization information and the Electronic File Transfer Organization Representative (EOR) information.
EFI Organization Information¶
EFI Organization Name and other details:¶
- The following Information is collected for each EFI Organization. Fields marked with a red asterisk (*) are required.
- Employer Identification Number (EIN): Provide the Employer Identification Number of the Organization. This is a mandatory field.
- Organization Name (Legal Business Name): Provide the name of the organization, this is also the legal name of the organization. This is a mandatory field.
- Mailing Address Line 1: Provide the mailing address by typing in the Street Number and Name in the given space. This is a mandatory field.
- Mailing Address Line 2: Provide additional mailing address information by entering information such as the Apartment/Suite Number. This is a not a mandatory field.
- City: Provide the name of the City. This is a mandatory field.
- State: Select the State form the given drop down list. This is a mandatory field.
- Zip Code: Provide the Zip Code. This is a required field.
- Zip Code Extension: Provide the Zip Code Extension. This is a not a mandatory field.
- Telephone Number: Provide the Telephone Number. This is a required field.
- Extension: Provide Extension number if applicable. This is not a required field.
- Fax Number: Provide Fax number if available. This is not a required field.
Electronic File Transfer Organization Representative (EOR)¶
Two radio buttons are provided to select if the organization is a subpart as Yes or No. If the organization is subpart of another organization then select the radio button ‘Yes’. If the organization is not a subpart of another organization then select a radio button that indicates as ‘No’.